Temporary research assistant in Armenia
Kvinna till Kvinna is looking for a research assistant for a short-term assignment in Armenia.
The research assistant, who will reside locally in Armenia, will mainly be involved in the data collection phase of a study commissioned by Kvinna till Kvinna looking at the gendered impact of conflict and women’s priorities for peace in relation to the Nagorno Karabagh conflict. They will accompany the lead researcher throughout two weeks of data collection as well as having some input into the development and analysis.
The study will be led by an international researcher who is responsible for developing the methodology, collecting and analysing the data, and writing the final report. She will oversee the work of the research assistants as they:
- carry out desk research related to the study (approximately 3 days)
- liaise with Kvinna till Kvinna’s partners in the region and establish links with new organisations and individuals
- help to arrange meetings and focus groups in a range of locations
- help with logistical arrangements (accommodation, travel)
- contribute to focus groups (coordination/facilitation) and interviews
- transcribe selected interviews and focus group discussions
Please note that from time to time the research assistants may be asked to provide interpretation for the lead researcher (from the local language to English or Russian), however this is not their main responsibility.
- Bachelor’s and preferably a Master’s degree in a relevant subject area (Social Science or Humanities)
- Experience researching on Women, Peace and Security and the Nagorno Karabagh conflict
- Experience working with qualitative research methods and/or feminist methodology
- Relevant experience outside academia (e.g. organising study visits, workshops and round tables, or documentary activities)
- Voluntary or professional experience relating to peacebuilding and/or women’s rights in the region
- Knowledge, experience and contacts with local peacebuilding and women’s organisations
- Personal or professional experience relating to border regions
- Previous work on sensitive topics/social exclusion
- Experience with co-facilitation
- Driving license
- Currently resident in Armenia
- Fluency in Armenian
- Excellent oral, listening and written skills in English and/or Russian
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent coordination, outreach and networking skills
- Good memory and attentive to detail
- Flexible and creative approach to problem-solving
- Sensitive to issues associated with gender and conflict.
Terms and conditions
This is a temporary assignment focusing on the data collection aspect of the study. Candidates must be available for a two week period starting in early November, and should be aware that they will be required to travel within the country for up to twelve days during this period.
The assistant will also be responsible for some desk research (three days in late September) and transcribing some of the interviews and focus groups (exact number of days to be confirmed).
Please also note that due to the nature of the work only women (legal and/or self-identified) applicants will be considered.
Please send a CV and cover letter (max 2 pages) answering the following questions to email@example.com no later than Friday, September 15th 2017:
- Why do you think you are a suitable candidate for this position?
- How will this study build on your past experiences and knowledge?
- How do you envisage your role in the data collection process?
Please put Research Assistant Application (Armenia) in the subject line.
For questions relating to this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org